It’s estimated that 70% of people in the United States have experienced at least one traumatic event in their lifetime. That means seven out of 10 people have gone through something that’s left them feeling scared, alone, or helpless. And for many of these people, that trauma doesn’t just disappear. It can lead to mental health issues like anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It can also lead to substance abuse and addiction.
Our experienced staff understands the connection between trauma and addiction at Genesis Recovery and Wellness (GROW). As seasoned rehab specialists, they also know that standard addiction treatment methods don’t always address the root cause of someone’s substance abuse. That’s why we offer a trauma therapy program in Fairlawn and Middleburg Heights, Ohio, as a part of our comprehensive addiction treatment services. Our staff ensures that our addiction therapy programs provide clients with a trauma-informed approach to care. Call 216.331.2998 today to learn more about the programs and services we offer to our clients.
What Is the Link Between Trauma and Addiction Treatment?
There’s a strong link between trauma and addiction. The National Council for Mental Well-Being has found that around 60% of people seeking substance abuse treatment have also experienced some form of trauma. Traumatic events can include:
- Child abuse
- Domestic violence
- Exposure to violence
- Natural disasters
- Sexual assault
Trauma can cause changes in the brain that make it difficult for someone to regulate their emotions. This can lead to developing mental health issues and risky behaviors like substance abuse.
Unfortunately, many people who have experienced trauma eventually turn to drugs or alcohol to cope with the pain. This is because addictive substances can help numb the emotions and memories associated with the trauma. This situation can start as casual use but quickly become a full-blown addiction. The link between trauma and addiction treatment is precisely why trauma-informed care is so vital in addiction therapy programs.
What Is Trauma-Informed Care?
Trauma-informed care is a type of treatment approach that’s designed specifically for people who have experienced trauma.
Definition of Trauma-Informed Care
Trauma-informed care or trauma therapy focuses on creating a safe and supportive environment where people can heal from trauma. This type of care also considers that trauma can affect every aspect of someone’s life, including their mental and physical health, relationships, and job.
Benefits of Trauma Therapy
At Genesis Recovery and Wellness, our trauma therapy program in Ohio incorporates trauma-informed care into every aspect of treatment. Trauma-informed care at Genesis Recovery and Wellness includes the following:
- Building trust – We know that trust is essential in the therapeutic relationship. Our staff works hard to build trust with every client.
- Creating a safe environment – Our staff is committed to providing compassionate care in a safe and welcoming environment. We want our clients to feel comfortable opening up about their experiences so that they can begin working through their trauma.
- Encouraging client and family involvement – Our clients’ families are essential to their support system. We involve them in the treatment process whenever possible.
- Focusing on strengths – Rather than focusing on what’s wrong, we focus on each client’s strengths and how they can use those strengths to overcome mental health issues and start living a healthier and happier life.
- Providing evidence-based treatments – All of the treatments we offer at Genesis Recovery and Wellness are backed by research and proven effective in treating substance abuse and mental health disorders.
- Offering individualized treatment plans – We understand that every client is different, so our staff typically creates unique treatment plans tailored to each client’s needs.
Our goal is to provide a supportive setting where clients can begin to heal the underlying cause of their addiction or other mental health issues.
Learn More About GROW’s Trauma Therapy Services in Ohio
If you or someone you love is struggling with trauma and addiction, we can help. At GROW, we aim to provide a safe and supportive environment for clients working on recovering and starting happier and healthier lives. Call 216.331.2998 and ask our knowledgeable staff about our trauma therapy program in Fairlawn and Middleburg Heights, Ohio.