People seeking treatment and recovery from substance abuse have many treatment options available. Finding a treatment program that best fits your needs and circumstances is essential. It can ensure that you are successful in your recovery and maintain sobriety in the long term. A popular and well-known treatment option is the 12-step program. We provide a 12-step program at Genesis Recovery and Wellness in Ohio as one of our many addiction treatment programs.
What Is the 12-Step Approach to Recovery?
The 12-step approach to treatment was created by Alcoholics Anonymous but can be used to treat addictions to several substances. The approach involves powerful peer support groups with the goal of helping each other achieve and maintain sobriety. The 12-step approach is helpful to those struggling with substance abuse to develop new coping skills, feel support and acceptance from a caring community, transition into sobriety, and foster long-term recovery.
The 12 steps from the original Big Book and presented by Alcoholics Anonymous are:
- Admitting powerlessness over the addiction
- Believing that a higher power can help
- Deciding to turn control over to the higher power
- Taking a personal inventory
- Admitting to the higher power, oneself, and another person the wrongs done
- Being ready to have the higher power correct any shortcomings in one’s characters
- Asking the higher power to remove those shortcomings
- Making a list of wrongs done to others and being willing to make amends for those wrongs
- Contacting those who have been hurt, unless doing so would harm the person
- Continuing to take personal inventory and admitting when one is wrong
- Seeking enlightenment and connection with the higher power via prayer and meditation
- Carrying the message of the 12 steps to others in need
The main idea behind the 12-step approach is that people can help each other achieve and maintain sobriety. However, healing is not possible unless those struggling surrender to a higher power. The higher power does not need to be the Christian version of god but instead can be your support community, science, the universe, or humanity at large. The Alcoholics Anonymous program is founded on religion, but there are many programs today that modify the steps for those looking for nonsecular treatment.
12-Step Addiction Treatment Program
Recovery is not an easy process, but for those motivated to become and remain sober, a 12-step addiction treatment program can be effective. A 12-step program requires commitment and effort, but there are many benefits to this type of addiction treatment program. The benefits of a 12-step program may include:
- A sober community and strong sober network
- Structure and accountability during recovery
- A safe environment to share experiences free of judgment
- An opportunity to help others struggling with substance abuse
- Develop new and healthy coping skills
As a peer-based program, a 12-step addiction treatment program provides support, accountability, and encouragement to those dedicated to overcoming their addiction. Finding a healthy support system is significant both during and after recovery. Being surrounded by others who are going through or have been through what you are experiencing can be comforting and provide hope during recovery.
Choose a Recovery Program at Genesis Recovery and Wellness
If you or someone you know is struggling with addiction, it is essential to seek professional help. There are many treatments and recovery options available, including 12-step recovery programs. At Genesis Recovery and Wellness, we understand that addiction is a complex disease to overcome. However, we also know that people can heal and live healthy, fulfilling lives with the proper care and services. At GROW, we offer a variety of evidence-based treatment programs that can be tailored to meet our client’s needs. To learn more about our addiction treatment programs in Ohio, contact us today at 216.331.2998.