If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction, you might have heard of the benefits of medication-assisted treatment (MAT). Although a relatively new approach to rehab, MAT has been proven to be an effective treatment option for people struggling with addiction.
Genesis Recovery and Wellness (GROW) offers MAT as part of our comprehensive addiction treatment program. Our team of experienced and knowledgeable addiction counselors and medical professionals will work with you to create a custom treatment plan that meets your unique needs. Call 216.331.2998 to get started on the path to addiction recovery today.
What Is MAT?
MAT is the use of FDA-approved medications, in combination with counseling and behavioral therapies, to provide a “whole-patient” approach to treating substance use disorders (SUDs). There are three main types of medications used in MAT:
- Buprenorphine – This partial opioid agonist is used to treat pain and addiction. It works by binding to the same receptors in the brain as other opioids, but it produces a different effect. Buprenorphine can prevent withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings.
- Methadone – This opioid medication is used to treat pain and addiction. It works by binding to the same receptors in the brain as other opioids, but it produces a different effect. Methadone can prevent withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings.
- Naltrexone – This is an opioid antagonist used to treat addiction. It works by blocking the effects of opioids in the brain. Naltrexone can prevent withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings.
The medications used in MAT are meant to alleviate withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings. This allows patients to focus on their recovery.
What Are the Benefits of MAT for Addiction Treatment?
1. It Is Proven to Be Efficient and Effective
MAT has been proven to be an effective treatment option for people with addiction. The National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) has found that MAT is most effective in cases where they are part of a comprehensive treatment program that includes behavioral therapies and other treatments.
2. It Can Help Reduce the Intensity and Frequency of Withdrawal Symptoms
Withdrawal symptoms and cravings can be some of the most challenging aspects of addiction to overcome. One of the benefits of MAT is that it can help reduce these symptoms, making it easier for patients to stay on track with their recovery.
3. It Can Increase Retention in Addiction Treatment Programs
One of the main reasons why people drop out of addiction treatment programs is because they cannot handle withdrawal symptoms or cravings. With MAT, patients are more likely to stick with their treatment program until completion because they are getting relief from their withdrawal symptoms and cravings.
4. It Can Help Patients Get Back to Their Regular Lives
Addiction can take over your life, making it difficult to maintain relationships, hold down a job, or take care of your responsibilities. With MAT, you can begin to take back control of your life and focus on what’s important to you.
5. It Can Save Lives
Sadly, addiction is a deadly disease. NIDA estimates that about 20,000 Americans die yearly from overdoses involving prescription opioids. But with MAT, we can start to turn the tide on this epidemic and save lives.
Learn More About GROW’s MAT Services in Ohio
If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction, medication-assisted treatment (MAT) might be a good option. Genesis Recovery and Wellness offers MAT services as part of our comprehensive addiction treatment program.
Are you interested in learning more about MAT services in Ohio? Call Genesis Recovery and Wellness at 216.331.2998. Someone from our experienced staff will be happy to talk to you about our programs and services.