The 12 steps of recovery are guidelines that provide a framework for living a life free from addiction. These steps have been proven effective in helping people overcome addiction and achieve long-term sobriety, which is why many addiction treatment centers offer a 12-step rehab program for people struggling with substance use disorders (SUDs). If you or someone you love is struggling with SUDs, it’s crucial to understand how the 12 steps of addiction recovery can help. Contact Genesis Recovery and Wellness in Ohio today at 216.331.2998 to speak with someone from our caring and compassionate team about the 12 steps of addiction treatment and the rehab programs we offer.
The 12 Steps of Recovery
The 12 steps of recovery are:
- Admitting powerlessness over addiction and the unmanageability of life because of it
- Coming to believe that a power greater than oneself could restore sanity
- Deciding to turn one’s will and life over to the care of God
- Making a searching and fearless moral inventory of oneself
- Admitting to God, oneself, and another human being the exact nature of one’s wrongs
- Readiness to have God remove all these defects of character
- Humbly asking God to remove one’s shortcomings
- Making a list of people one has harmed and having a willingness to make amends to them all
- Making direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others
- Continuing to take personal inventory and promptly admit when one is wrong
- Improving conscious contact with God, praying only for knowledge of His will
- Carrying this message and practicing these principles throughout life
The 12 steps of addiction recovery provide a roadmap for a life free from SUDs. These addiction recovery steps are based on Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) principles. AA was founded in 1935 by two men who struggled with alcoholism and wanted to help others achieve sobriety. The 12 steps of AA have also been adapted by other 12-step programs, such as Narcotics Anonymous (NA), for people struggling with different types of addiction.
How the 12 Steps of Addiction Recovery Work
These steps are intended to help people achieve sobriety and live a life free from addiction. The 12 steps can be divided into three main sections:
- Acknowledging that you have a problem with addiction
- Taking action to address your addiction
- Making lifestyle changes to support your sobriety
The 12 steps of addiction treatment are most effective when combined with other forms of treatment, such as therapy, counseling, and medication. However, the 12 steps can be beneficial for anyone who is struggling with addiction. These steps are not meant to be completed overnight. It is a journey that will require time, effort, and dedication. However, the rewards can be life-changing if you are willing to put in the work.
Benefits of Following the 12 Steps of Addiction Treatment
There are many benefits to following the 12 steps of addiction treatment. Some of these benefits include:
- Improved mental health
- Improved physical health
- Increased sense of purpose
- Stronger relationships
In addition, following the 12 steps can also lead to increased self-esteem and self-confidence. It can also provide a support system to help you through difficult times.
Learn More About the 12 Steps of Recovery in Ohio at Genesis Recovery and Wellness
If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction, it’s vital to seek professional help. At Genesis Recovery and Wellness, we offer a variety of programs and services that can help you on your journey to recovery. Contact Genesis Recovery and Wellness today at 216.331.2998 to learn more about our program offerings and how we can help you on your path to wellness.